- This event has passed.
Mystic Contra Dance “The Pie Dance”
November 26 @ 7:45 pm - 11:00 pm
MYSTIC CONTRA DANCE “The Pie Dance”, Sat. 11/26/2022
● TIME: Dance 7:45-11:00pm (newcomers session @ 7:45-8:00)
● WHERE: Groton Center’s community meeting hall @ 102 Newtown Road, Groton, CT 06340.
● Tonight is special after Thanksgiving Dance. Bring your family and friends! No fancy footwork needed to attend, just come alone or with friends, enjoy the camaraderie and dance and see everyone’s smiling faces!
● CALLER: Billy Fischer. Billy The core of billy’s work is community building. Billy has been calling dances for over thirty years, starting out in New Haven, Connecticut with the contra dance series that has been a fixture of the folk music and dance scene since 1976. In addition to contra dances in and around the northeast, he has called at various dance camps regionally and nationally.
● LIVE MUSIC: “Chimney Swift”: A.Z. Madonna, accordion, vocals; Cecile Leroy, cello, jaw harp, vocals; Daniel Raine, cittern, guitar, ukulele, banjo, vocals; Yaron Shragai, whistles, recorders, hand percussion, vocals. Chimney Swift, playing together since 2016, is a groovy, eclectic folk band known for their unusual instrumentation and innovative musical choices. With inspiration ranging from traditional fiddle tunes to pop and various international styles, they transport their audience with their exciting, unique sound.
● HOMEMADE PIE! This month we offer homemade pie slices of a medley of pies. These delicious pies are offered at the break for $3/slice help support the band and caller.
● ADMISSION: $10 adults, $7 students. & Donations gratefully accepted!
● CLOTHING & FOOTWEAR: Clothing is casual, layers are best for this invigorating exercise. Please wear non-street shoes that move easily on the floor (rubber soled sneaker are discouraged but some do wear them even though it makes dancing a bit harder).
● PARKING: Plenty of parking in the large parking area next to the building!